Firsts: Sunday her first trip to the ER

I was cooking a skillet meal "shrimp lo mien" for dinner and LG decided that she doesn't like shrimp so I told her to go down in the freezer and get a kids meal for dinner. She told me that she was running behind the couch but slowed down when she got to the stairs, she has no idea how she fell but I heard her crying and I removed the now finished skillet meal from the burner and went down to see what happened. Hubby had her and was cuddling her so I went back upstairs to start her kids meal and serve out our dinner. Then I heard Hubby say "pack up The Boy we have to go to the hospital"....The next 10 minutes are a blur of packing and checking and double checking and car loading. I managed to throw some dinner into a bowl for Hubby to eat at the red lights and I wasn't hungry I sat in the back between two very sad children (The Boy was hungry) holding an ice pack to LG's chin and telling her any story I could think of to get her mind off of her wound. Hubby dropped us at the emergency door and went to park the car. We were already being seen by the triage staff when he walked in. He surprised us both by telling us he already called MomMom and she arrived shortly. I estimate that the fall occurred at 7:00pm and we arrived at the hospital by 7:20pm. At 9:30pm we decided that Hubby and The Boy needed to get home to get to bed so I quickly gave The Boy a snack and sent them on their way, my mother would bring us home. We were finally called back at 10:30pm. A nurse came in and checked her out and then a PA came in, she examined the wound in declared the LG needed sutures. LG was very upset, she wanted glue the man in triage promised her glue but no the wound was too deep and to make sure her chin was closed up and as beautiful as it was before she needs stitches.(the PA's words almost literally) Shortly thereafter the nurse returned with some numbing cream which she just took out of the fridge. LG was still very upset and started screaming, unfortunately my mother and I had to hold her down so the nurse could apply the cream :( Half an hour later LG was a very sleepy girl who still had not eaten dinner when 2 nurses and the PA came into the room for her procedure. They swaddled her up, arms tied down just like we would do to The Boy when he was a newbie. I rubbed her up and down like she would do to The Boy and MomMom rested her hands on LG's legs. The PA injected the would with some unknown substance(I didn't ask because I didn't want to upset LG) She was being brave but every time the PA would pull away LG asked if she was finished. So we decided we would let the PA tell us when she was done. She ended up getting 5 stitches. Honestly she just lay there and let the PA work, no fussing at all. I am so proud of how brave she was. She finally ate some Burger Kind and was in bed by 12:30 am, she insisted on going to school today. So we will have to see how she feels when I pick her up

No comments:

Post a Comment